07 June 2008

Extraordinary

extraordinary: adj 
1. beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established.
2. exceptional in character

For some reason, people don't believe that they can do extraordinary things. Some think that "extraordinary" exclusively means saving a country, raising awareness, running into a building on fire and saving a baby, writing a book, getting a 4.0 gpa, or finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (or whatever else the imagination can think of).

Extraordinary doesn't have to be an act or something concrete that you can see or identify. Extraordinary can simply be believing in another person or being that extra motivation a person needs. It can be that prayer that you pray for a heartbroken friend or a happy cheer in celebration for a succeeding teammate. 


What people don't realize is that they already did extraordinary things. Simply by being a friend is extraordinary in itself. Maybe not extraordinary to the stereotypical idea of what it is, but to that specific friend, the friendship (which is different and unique for each person) is so great that words cannot express.

We impact people through relationships. We may not know it or see it on the outside, and the other friend may not either... but whether it is that comforting hug you share or the late night talks, somehow it changes us. As time goes on, they become a part of us and we become a part of them. And even if that friendship comes to end, whether through distance or goodbyes, fights or disagreements, or bad timing... that person will always remain a part of us. 

I realized that sometimes I don't have to say "I miss you". I miss physical presence, but I don't miss them. Friends, whether best friend or just a "hey, how's it going?" friend, will always have a place in my heart and will forever be a part of me. I am who I am because of the relationships I've had, and no one can take that away. 

People shouldn't forget the extraordinary things that they can do. What can you do that is extraordinary? Jump off a 50 story building? Learn how to fly? Have super strength like superman? Or give a hug. Give a smile. Be a friend. 

I hope one day, I can help someone realize they can do something extraordinary. 

Friendship is extraordinary.